Sunday, August 5, 2012

Okay, so maybe you might have guessed this is not my mother

I miss my father - a lot. He was born February 24, 1918 and passed away November 15, 2005.

He died from complications of Alzheimer's. I vividly remember the day I was told of the diagnosis. I looked him in the eye, and saw that he pretty much wasn't there anymore. I guess you could say the light inside him had gone out.

In the late fall of 2004 (after his diagnosis), he saw a copy of Time magazine with a picture of Barack Obama on the front. He picked it up and said "this is a good man." Apparently my Dad had watched his keynote speech of the Democratic convention.

I started following Obama in the news - with particular interest. When he announced his presidency, I was glued to the TV - guess that's why I don't watch much campaign news this year. I OD'd.

I voted for him. I had never registered to vote in my life, but if my father believed in him, I did too.

With a republican congress, I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks that change is/was possible. I saw it in the cards when the beer thing didn't really work.

ANYWAY...

When my Dad was a kid, he entered a Keds jingle contest and won this dog.  I never heard him talk much about the dog, named, you guessed it Keds! We never had pets when I was growing up. I thought my parents just didn't like dogs. I married my husband because he had a dog....JUST KIDDING...the dog was just a wonderful by product of marriage!  My father grew to really like our dog Scaramouche, which made me very happy. In the last year of his life, I discovered how much he really liked dogs.

It made me sad that he hadn't had a dog for about 75 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment